These have quickly become my FAVOURITE snack! Given that a small pint of dairy-free ice cream can run up to $7, and the ice cream bars are no cheaper, this is a great alternative that is so easy to make! I don’t remember who posted this recipe on Facebook, but I owe them a debt of gratitude because these are fantastic!
- 2 bananas (make sure these are ripe or it won’t taste right, we found that out the hard way last night)
- 1/4 cup almond butter (I decreased the quantity from the original recipe because I found it got too messy when I was eating them)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup dairy/gluten free chocolate chips (I love Enjoy Life chips)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- popsicle sticks or bamboo skewers
- Mix almond butter, vanilla and cinnamon together until well combined
- Peel and cut bananas in half. Slice the halves vertically in half
- Spread your almond butter mixture over half the banana slices
- Press your popsicle stick or skewer on top of the almond butter and top with the remaining banana slices. Freeze the banana pops until firm (about 2 hours)
- When the pops are frozen, melt your dark chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler over low heat. If you don’t have a double boiler, use a large skillet filled with some water and place a smaller pot inside the skillet to melt the chocolate and oil until smooth
- Coat each banana pop in the chocolate and place on parchment paper. Place back in the freezer for a few minutes until chocolate is hardened and cold.
*You can eat these immediately once the chocolate has set, or store them in the freezer and take them out 20-30 minutes before eating