This is a quick(er) alternative to canning sauce (which I’ve done), and much tastier than store bought because you can customize it any way you want. I got the base from here, but added quite a bit to make it my own.
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup each spinach & kale, cooked
- *any other desired vegetables
- 1-28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1-28 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 4 tsp dried basil
- 2-4 Tbsp sugar
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan on medium heat. Add onions and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Lower heat to med-low and add peppers and mushroom, continue stirring for another 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Do not let the garlic burn.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Turn the heat back up to medium and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let sauce simmer for as long as possible, at least 30 minutes.