Growing up on the East Coast, I have always been a seafood fanatic. My stepfather makes this fantastic seafood casserole that could just make my mouth water! I have to say, since I began my gluten and dairy free journey, this has been one of those dishes I have been most tempted to cheat with. A few months ago I finally got up the courage to try making a “safe” version of this incredible dish, and it turned out even better than I remembered!
- 1/2 cup butter substitute (I love Vegan Becel)
- 5 cups milk substitute (Almond, Rice or Coconut work well)
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour mix
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 pound faux Velveeta
- 3-4 pounds mix of lobster, crab, scallops, shrimp, clams and/or fish
- Cook onions & celery in butter or oil on medium heat
- In separate saucepan, mix together flour and butter on low for 2 minutes. Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Once sauce is smooth, add “cheese” and stir until fully melted.
- Add seafood to saucepan (beginning with raw items) and heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour mix into casserole and bake for 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Serve over rice and enjoy 🙂
*I doubled this recipe for a family function, and still had tons left over. The nice thing about this one is that you can easily throw any leftovers in glass jars and stick them in the freezer for further use. Just take it out in the morning and it will be ready to heat up on the stove in time for dinner!